AnitaB.org is evolving from a successful event driven organization to a year-round service organization providing all tech women — along with the institutions that train them and the entities that fund and employ their talents — the products and services they need to reach intersectional gender and pay parity by 2025. The Innovation & Strategy team at AnitaB.org is responsible for guiding other departments through and spearheading for itself the process of translating organization ideas, best practices, relationships, and stakeholder needs into successful and valuable products.
We are looking for a Director of Membership to oversee the AnitaB.org membership offering, ensuring that we accomplish our mission of 50/50 gender equity in tech by 2025 by engaging and satisfying members and prospective members through an evolving and improving membership product. This full-time position reports to the Head of Innovation & Strategy. Employee must be located in the U.S.; the position will require monthly travel to various events and organizational meetings as well as some global travel.
The Director oversees the AnitaB.org member benefits, including mentorship, communities, committees, member directory, training discounts, Grace Hopper Celebration premium experience, Career Center, and any additional benefits as they are added.
The Director of Membership is responsible for the continuous improvement of the AnitaB.org membership product and experience, including evaluation of benefits, development of benefits, recruitment of members, and retention of members. The Director of Membership coordinates with the AnitaB.org Marketing department, IT department, Finance department, and other support functions to realize the position goals. This position reports to the Head of Innovation and manages up to two direct reports.
The Director of Membership is responsible for delivering a premium membership experience that is starting as a pilot and will utilize data from the inaugural members to inform the continued development and continuous improvement of the membership product. The Director of Membership is responsible for delivering a premium membership experience to users that helps women expand their skill sets, networks, and career opportunities. The membership platform offers a unique opportunity to reach large audiences of women, including those who AnitaB.org ordinarily may not reach through our usual platforms such as Grace Hopper Celebration.
Success in the position requires the Director to execute duties related to AnitaB.org membership management and promotion.
Program Management Functions:
- Report to the AnitaB.org leaders on membership activity and success.
- Create and manage membership success metrics.
- Develop and maintain third-party and internal partnerships that provide benefit to AnitaB.org members.
- Initiate contracts and agreements and hold partners accountable for satisfying their obligations to AnitaB.org members.
- Establish regular operational measures of benefit engagement and determine the actions that positively affect member interaction and satisfaction.
- Provide direct member communication and support as necessary.
- Manage the Association Management System (AMS) platform, currently Your Membership.
- Refine the experience, including policies and features, of member benefits including mentorship, communities, committees, member directory, training discounts, Grace Hopper Celebration premium experience, and Career Center, or any additional benefits that may be added, in line with business requirements and user feedback.
Program Promotion Functions:
- Develop and maintain third-party and internal partnerships that provide marketing services to support the duties of this position.
- Plan and execute an annual membership promotion calendar to increase membership.
- Plan and execute an annual benefit engagement calendar to increase benefit engagement.
- Create promotional membership content and advertising.
- Monitor response to promotional efforts and adjust activity to maximize return.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
The Director of Membership must have experience managing a digital platform that provided membership, mentorship, or some other virtual service to constituents or participants. The Director of Membership is a proven product manager and marketer, ideally with experience in a professional service or an association environment. A professional communication style with and diplomatic demeanor are crucial for success. The Director must support the AnitaB.org mission to promote women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion in society, the workplace and other institutions where women learn, work, build, and fund businesses.
Product Management Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Experience managing programs and processes.
- Experience managing an external platform that provided membership and/or mentorship.
- Experience managing a CRM or AMS system such as Salesforce, Personify360, or Your Membership.
- Knowledge of office productivity software such as Microsoft Office.
- Capability to connect and manage through distributed presence tools such as WebEx, GoToMeeting, Slack, or Zoom.
Product Promotion Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Command of marketing automation promotion techniques and software such as Salesforce, Hubspot, or NetSuite.
- Skilled in promotional copywriting and basic design and software such as Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, or InDesign.
- Fluency in social media promotion techniques and social management tools such as Sprout Social, HootSuite, or Falcon.io.
- Capacity to develop emails in email delivery software such as MailChimp, Constant Contact, or Emma.
- Familiarity with analytic techniques and tools such as Tableau, Adobe Analytics, or Google Analytics
- Independent and motivated with inquisitive attitude.
- Results-focused with strategic and logical thinking.
- Leadership style that inspires confidence and trust.
- Consensus builder comfortable in matrixed organization.
- Quantitative predisposition with thirst for data and insights.
- Committed to the highest ethical and service standards.
- Professional presence that positively represents the AnitaB organization to leaders, members, prospective members, partners, sponsors, and community officials.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
The qualifications below are the knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree with preference for major or concentration in business or marketing-related field of study.
- Five (5) years of full-time product management or marketing work experience.
- Two (2) years of full-time work experience in a professional service, education, nonprofit, or association environment.
- Ability to travel up to 25 days per quarter.
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to Jobs@AnitaB.org and indicate “Director of Membership” in the subject line.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.