AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative.
As a mission-driven nonprofit, it is essential to expand communications concerning the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and solutions to increase inclusion. As the leading advocate for women in tech, AnitaB.org provides key influencers, organizations (including academic, civic, business, and trade associations), and individual women technologists, with insight about the challenges that women face in technical careers, why this matters, women who are succeeding, and the solutions necessary to build inclusive work environments.
Through creative and compelling communications to key influencers, the press, and stakeholders in the broader tech communities, we can drive awareness of this important issue, engagement with key external stakeholders, and effect change.
AnitaB.org is looking for a talented Editorial Associate to join our team. The Editorial Associate will report to the Senior Editorial Manager and will work closely with AnitaB.org leadership and program managers to meet mission, marketing, brand, and business objectives.
AnitaB.org is committed to building a team rich with cultural, social, and intellectual diversity – all who believe deeply in our mission. Candidates who can contribute to that goal are encouraged to apply and to identify their strengths and experiences in this area.
You don’t mind rolling up your sleeves to operate at any level necessary. You’re excited by building and managing awareness of our advocacy and media relations campaigns in close collaboration with colleagues responsible for marketing, editorial, and communications, and advancing and executing tactics and strategies to support communications initiatives. You enjoy collaborating to develop editorial and media content, creative concepts, and targeted content for day-to-day stakeholder support.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
We expect professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect, and nondiscrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and cultivating strong partnerships with wide range of disciplines: business strategy, insights, sales, supply chain, along with interfacing with customers, solution partners, and industry subject matter experts.
- Provide writing and editorial assistance for the production of communications materials, both in print and on-line.
- Draft content related to announcements and media kits for sponsors and award/grant winners.
- PitcHER, Abie Awards, BRAID, etc.
- Draft content related to social and traditional media story development.
- Excellent communicator and creative thinker.
- Assist with Mashable content identification and development.
- Create photography minute by minute requirements for Hopperx1 events and GHC
- Assist with PR related website updates, i.e. update press releases, news, and announcement sites with updated copy.
- Draft and edit content for the AnitaB.org website, email, and program collateral.
- Draft and edit community content and blogs.
- Manage the AnitaB.org brand and maintain consistency in messaging among all our collateral.
- Positive and optimistic attitude.
- Able to use data to inform decisions.
- Team player; excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly with individuals from other departments; and ability to articulate creative concepts and rationale to internal clients.
- Ability to work independently and directly with partners and team members with little day-to-day management.
- Ability to prioritize and manage work, adhering to project timelines in a fast-paced environment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Create and leverage content that builds awareness of our advocacy.
- Help us maintain a consistent, powerful, and compelling voice across all channels.
- Coordinate communications, manage projects, and execute tasks required to work with stakeholders to develop content and execute outreach campaigns.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public relations, or related field and one year of experience in journalism and/or communications or public relations; or combination of education and experience equal to five years.
- Experience in and/or passion for topics including technology, women’s issues, and/or diversity and intersectionality.
- Excellence in writing, editing, and proofreading.
- Experience and/or desire to message impact and tell motivating “call-to-action” stories.
Salary is commensurate with experience. If this job description meets your experience and interests, please send your resume, salary history, compensation plan, and cover letter to Jobs@AnitaB.org with the subject heading “Editorial Associate.”
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.