Job Title: GHC Communications Specialist
Reports To: Senior Manager, Customer Service
Job Type: Full-time employee
The Communications Specialist for the Grace Hopper Celebration (GHC), the world’s largest gathering of technical women, will be responsible for managing clear, timely and accurate communications to our sponsors and attendees. If based in the Bay Area, the employee will work two days a week in our Palo Alto office and three days a week remotely.
In order to be successful in this role, the candidate must have excellent verbal and written communication skills, program management and multi-tasking skills, experience working with and in cross-functional teams, have the ability to be flexible, and must be proactive. This position is an excellent opportunity for a highly motivated professional with a background in messaging, writing and communications, and experience working with all audience levels, from students to executives. The candidate must be comfortable working in a fast-paced environment and have excellent organizational skills.
Essential job functions include but are not limited to:
- Manage the communications process for GHC, working closely with marketing and other cross-functional units to promote GHC to sponsors and attendees.
- Effectively lead or support multiple projects concurrently with a focus on deadlines, details, and documentation.
- Thrive on delivering and executing projects in a deadline-driven environment.
- Prioritize messages and information and effectively manage the communications calendar for each audience.
- Write and edit FAQs related to the celebration, sponsorships, and attendance.
- Write and deliver presentations in webinar format.
- Write and post messages using mobile application platforms.
- Respond to inquiries from sponsors and attendees for information related to GHC, and adjust and iterate messages based on queries that are received.
- Help create documentation and processes that help inter and intra-department efficiency and effectiveness.
- Help create documentation and processes for sponsors and attendees to improve their experience at GHC.
- Respond to customer service questions and requests for information.
- Manage customer service and communications onsite at GHC.
- Work cross-functionally with all departments responsible for collectively executing GHC, including Business Development, Organizational Development, Marketing, Systems, and Finance.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Program management and communications
- Proactive with a strong work ethic, positive attitude, and ability to remain calm under pressure
- Extremely detail oriented and highly organized
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills to interact effectively with co-workers, sponsors, attendees, and management
- A team player
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to learn quickly and think strategically
- Customer-service oriented
- Self-motivated, punctual, reliable and cooperative
- A passion for the mission of AnitaB.org, and ability to relate to the broader community of women technologists
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook, SharePoint, and One Note
- Experience in event planning
The qualifications below are the education, experience, and abilities required to perform this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher required
- Minimum three years proven track record of successful work experience
- Proven ability to write clear, concise communications to various audience levels
- Opportunity to be part of the world’s largest gathering of women technologists at GHC
- Opportunity to learn interesting content from subject matter experts
- Build program management skills
- Work remotely three days a week and in-office in Palo Alto two days a week or remotely if based out of state
Qualified candidates should email a cover letter and a resume to email@example.com and indicate “GHC Communications Specialist” in the subject line.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.