The employee must be located in Washington DC and will be required to travel at least quarterly, likely more.
The Policy and Engagement team at AnitaB.org works to strategically align and coordinate AnitaB.org myriad stakeholders, programs, and products around a common agenda for advancing women in technology through policy and coordinated engagement. Our organizational goal — equal representation, retention, and pay and funding across all pathways to, and levels of, the tech ecosystem by 2025 — is audacious. It requires a strategic approach, rooted in the best practices of social innovation frameworks for affecting grand challenges, evidence-based DEI solutions, innovation science, and community organizing for social movements. AnitaB.org is situated at the intersection of women technologists, the institutions that train them, and the industries that employ them, making us uniquely positioned to unify the tech ecosystem, and offer coordinated and strategic support that leverages individual efforts for collective impact.
The Policy and Advocacy Associate will assist with specific policy and advocacy projects, prepare written products, contribute social media and website content, collect, compile, and analyze data, offer program management support, and generally work with the Policy and Engagement team to advance AnitaB.org specific policy and engagement priorities.
- Read, summarize, and prioritize policy and DEI information from key intelligence sources for our internal and external stakeholders.
- Manage the recurring policy and engagement newsletter for internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of policy and advocacy training and engagement tools for internal and external stakeholders.
- Support the work of the policy and engagement team, including management of internal, cross departmental task forces.
- Support the Director of Strategic Alliances as needed with external stakeholder engagement.
- Perform project management and basic measurement and evaluation functions as needed and instructed.
- Work with Marketing and Communications to develop and grow an ally engagement and grassroots advocacy campaign.
- Draft, conduct research for, and help develop content for AnitaB.org one-pagers, talking points, issue briefs, related charts and visuals, infographics, and presentations to be used with selected internal or external audiences to advance engagement and policy and/or federal relations activities.
- Attend and report on briefings, hearings, coalition meetings, and conference calls as needed.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities. However, the Policy Associate is expected to coordinate efforts with key personnel within the policy department and the organization at large, as well as external stakeholders, to achieve the position’s purpose. Managerial capacity may be added.
Knowledge, Skills, and Characteristics
The candidate must show professionalism when interacting and communicating with their team and external stakeholders. They must demonstrate honesty, integrity, respect, and nondiscrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrates commitment and success promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, including leading and collaborating with diverse teams.
- Must demonstrate strong writing and editing skills, and convey information on complex issues both verbally and in writing using data and reasoning, and possess the ability to speak in formal and informal settings.
- Demonstrates a strong attention to details and data accuracy.
- Adherence to deadlines and ability to work with quick turnaround time.
- Must be able to work independently and exercise discretion and independent judgment regarding matters of significance.
- Has the ability to manage many projects, often at the same time, through their entire life cycle in collaboration with several internal and external team members.
- Possess an ability to effectively establish and maintain working relationships with peers and constituents at all levels of the association.
- Takes initiative and anticipates next steps.
- Committed to our organizational mission to serve all women in tech.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- One or more years of relevant experience including, but not limited to, work in local, state, federal, or international government and policy; STEM education and workforce policy and advocacy; or grassroots organizing is required.
- High proficiency with standard software (Office suite, SharePoint, communication and survey platforms) is required.
- Experience with Tableau, SPSS, or other analytical tools to conduct data analysis and evaluation is preferred.
- Program management training and experience is preferred.
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to JoannGa@AnitaB.org and indicate “Policy and Advocacy Associate” in the subject line.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.