The Senior Director of Business Development will be responsible for maintaining and expanding annual financial support for the Anita Borg Institute for Women and Technology (AnitaB.org) in the key areas of event sponsorships, other programs supporting women in technology, and individual giving. The Senior Director will be responsible for managing a team of Business Development Executives and Account Managers (six to seven staff members) to meet the revenue goals assigned by the organization. The Senior Director will also work in close collaboration with the Business Development Staff to develop sales strategy, provide guidance and sales training, motivate staff, and be responsible for the overall performance of the assigned staff.
The Senior Director of Business Development should be energetic, collaborative, strategic, and demonstrate a proven track record in meeting assigned revenue goals and managing strong relationships with external supporters. The ideal candidate has the skills and knowledge necessary to manage a sales team and help the staff secure new business and contribute to the overall sustainability of the organization. The Senior Director must demonstrate key skills in account management, sales management/sales systems, and project management.
The ideal candidate for this position is an experienced and resourceful sales, business development, or nonprofit development professional that is well-organized, highly motivated, people-oriented, and excited to be part of a growing nonprofit organization, and shares a passion for women and technology.
This is a perfect job for a prior sales manager who may be looking to do work that is more meaningful and mission-based, while enjoying a flexible work schedule that is based in the San Francisco Bay Area and includes telecommuting three days a week. Travel is approximately 10-20%.
- Assist and guide the sales staff in securing new year-round partnerships and event sponsorships with Fortune 1000 companies, privately held organizations, nonprofits, academic institutions, and startups.
- Work with AnitaB.org tools and systems provided to forecast and close new partners and sponsors.
- Attend all AnitaB.org events as needed to promote the mission and support existing sponsors and partners at these events.
- Attend national conferences, local networking events, and represent AnitaB.org professionally to help secure new partners and sponsors for our events and programs.
- Manage six to seven staff members, including Account Managers and Business Development Executives.
- Work collaboratively with the Programs Department, Marketing, and Finance to ensure customer success.
- Work closely with the Partner Success & Engagement team to provide effective partner communications and successful productive engagement and alignment with our mission.
- Manage work with staff, other AnitaB.org departments, and partner/sponsor organizations to carry out business development activities and meet sales goals.
- Maintain open and accessible communications with the Vice President of Business Development and the Executive Leadership team.
- Manage a project or initiative that will facilitate success of business development and/or the organization as a whole.
- Initiate, create, and execute on the forecasted revenue budget for the calendar year, and be accountable for meeting the revenue forecast each month and year.
Knowledge, Skills, and Characteristics
Professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect, and non-discrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrated commitment and success promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, including leading and collaborating with diverse teams.
- Proven leadership experience in dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Demonstrated excellence in public speaking, negotiating, diplomatic savvy, and relationship management.
- Professional, versatile, and collaborative with a committed work ethic.
- Dedication and passion for learning and communicating AnitaB.org’s mission and vision.
- Proficient in technology tools needed for remote work and telecommuting, such as Microsoft Office Suite, with advanced skills in Excel.
- Proficient in Netsuite CRM, MS-Sharepoint, Visio, and project management tools.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required, MBA or advanced technical degree highly desired.
- Minimum 10 years proven track record in prior sales management experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ direct experience in major account management with an emphasis on business strategy, conceptual selling, negotiation, and superior customer service is required.
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to JoannGa@AnitaB.org and indicate “Senior Director, Business Development” in the subject line.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.