AnitaB.org is evolving from a successful event driven organization to a year-round service organization providing our community — all tech women, the institutions that train them, and the entities that fund and employ their talents — the products and services they need to reach intersectional gender and pay parity by 2025. The Innovation team at AnitaB.org is responsible for guiding other departments through and spearheading for itself the process of translating organization ideas, best practices, relationships, and stakeholder needs into successful and valuable products.
The Senior Director of Innovation Strategies will report to the Head of Innovation. The Innovation team is a startup effort; AnitB.org seeks a strong candidate to shape and drive this new effort, applying an intersectional lens to achieve equitable outcomes for women in tech.
- Serve as a senior leader in the Innovation unit, applying a business and research acumen to drive results and lead innovative change processes across the organization.
- Coordinate with the Head of Innovation to create an inclusive innovation strategy that will guide internal and external product development across the organization, including a continuous improvement process to proactively address the changing needs of tech women.
- Work with the Executive Team to coordinate and implement the organization’s research agenda, including but not limited to product R&D, monitoring and evaluation, and original academic research, with a focus on generating knowledge and establishing best practices for inclusive entrepreneurship.
- Manage various staff on the Innovation team who contribute to R&D processes and activities.
- Contribute to establishing a culture of data-driven decision making, innovation, and continuous improvement organization-wide.
- Lead the research, development, and implementation of innovative products and services to support women in tech, including but not limited to year-round entrepreneurship programming to serve technical women founders and a mobility metric for women in tech; identify the needs of women in tech; and develop projects with the purpose and success of delivering new products to better service them.
- Develop the organization’s approach to establishing an external innovation center that will coalesce our efforts to support founding women and drive equitable investment in women founders across intersectional identities.
- Manage, drive, and strengthen the organization’s external relationships with cross-sector leaders of the technology innovation ecosystem.
- Coordinate with the Policy and Engagement and Marketing teams to ensure advocacy and strategic ally engagement is inclusive of innovation and entrepreneurship issues at a local, state, federal, and global level.
- Help grow the AnitaB.org brand for product innovations and ensure best practices for inclusive innovation are amplified and widely disseminated via AnitaB.org communication channels.
Knowledge, Skills, and Characteristics
The Senior Director of Innovation Research should show professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect, and non-discrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrated commitment and success promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, including leading and collaborating with diverse teams.
- Strong organization and time-management with an excellent track record of delivering projects on time and within budget.
- A can-do attitude, entrepreneurial mindset, and comfort in challenging conventions.
- Clear commitment to increasing gender equity in tech with demonstrated track record working in DEI efforts in tech and other stem-focused areas.
- Excellent team player able to manage and prioritize work for self and staff.
- Ability to multi-task with changing priorities.
- Experience with developing and cultivating strong partnerships with wide range of disciplines: business strategy, insights, sales, supply chain, along with interfacing with customers, solution partners, and industry subject matter experts.
- Big picture strategic thinker and proactive problem solver.
- A strong working knowledge of the types of challenges women in technology face.
- Excellent written/verbal communication, organizational, analytical, and planning skills.
- Strong execution, communication, and collaboration skills in virtual environments.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Master’s degree in a scientific research field; doctoral degree preferred.
- Minimum 10 years of hands-on technical experience required.
- Minimum five (5) years of professional research experience.
- Experience in product/program development for minority or under-represented groups.
- Experience in managing multiple projects within cross-functional team environment.
- Balanced ability to lead creative vision, strategy, team, and operational routines.
- Experience leading cross functional teams and overseeing a wide network of partners.
- Ability to effectively conduct technical discussions directly with Management and team members.
- Strong network of connections in the entrepreneurship and innovation sectors.
Location: Chicago, Washington, DC, or Bay Area
Interested applicants should email their resume and cover letter to JoannGa@AnitaB.org and indicate “Senior Director of Innovation Research” in the subject line.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.