AnitaB.org is a nonprofit social enterprise and the premier organization advancing women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in technology, blending the best of community and corporate practices. We envision a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies for whom they build it. Since 1987, when Dr. Anita Borg began a digital community for women in tech, the organization has connected, inspired, and guided women in computing, as well as the organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative, making great strides in awareness and outcomes for women in tech.
With annual revenue now in excess of $40 million and a community consisting of the leading high-profile technology organizations, AnitaB.org seeks to transform the technology sector to achieve 50-50 gender equity by 2025. Expanding beyond its signature annual event, Grace Hopper Celebration, the organization is positioned to deliver year-round support to women and relevant organizations, through expanding communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is seeking a Vice President of Business Development dedicated to the mission of enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion, to drive and diversify the organization’s revenue generating efforts. The ideal candidate for this role will have a proven track-record in corporate tech sales and experience working with mission driven organizations, bringing a blended best practice approach of sales and fundraising to the role. The Vice President of Business Development will be well versed in creating unique, effective collaborations with sponsors and donors to support an ever-expanding portfolio of world-class programs. The Vice President will identify and foster emerging sponsorship, giving, and engagement opportunities for expansion, in areas such as Grace Hopper Celebration, individual giving, and other community events.
In addition to being an exceptional salesperson, the Vice President of Business Development will display innate characteristics of humility, leadership, sound management, integrity, and collaboration, acting as a beacon of the AnitaB.org mission both externally and internally. The Vice President will lead a sophisticated, high-performing team of Senior Director Business Development Executives, Account Managers, and Operations Professionals to meet ambitious revenue and growth goals.
The Vice President of Business Development role presents an opportunity for a social enterprise leader dedicated to the mission of enhancing diversity, equity, and inclusion to transform the tech sector in creating 50 / 50 gender equity by 2025. This individual will be responsible for developing a revenue generating strategy for AnitaB.org during a period of organizational growth.
Drive Revenue Generation and Diversification Efforts
- Maintain responsibility for events sponsorships and corporate fee-for-service revenue through Grace Hopper Celebration and related events, Innovation Lab, Corporate DEI Services, and raising a minimum of $40 million annually.
- Cultivate, strengthen, and expand relationships with new and existing partners, sponsors, and key corporate customers to advance the development of additional revenue generation opportunities throughout the year.
- Attract philanthropic donations, social impact investing, and venture funding where appropriate to support novel programs that deepen equity for women in technology in accordance with strategic plan priorities for AnitaB.org.
Exceptional Leadership and Management Acumen
- Lead sophisticated and high performing Business Development team of 9+, providing mentorship, development, and guidance to achieve ambitious sales targets.
- Act as a steward of the AnitaB.org strategic plan, and integrate such direction within the Business Development team’s goals and activities. Encourage a sense of unity across departments to identify opportunities for mutual benefit.
Collaborate among the Executive Team at a strategic level, to advance the organization’s success and impact, and steward change across the organization.
- Connect with, understand, and lead team members at all levels from various backgrounds.
Authentic Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Demonstrate a dedication to significantly advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at a global level, supporting women and companies to improve performance meaningfully, and for the long term.
- Represent an authentic commitment to social justice, accountability and loyalty to the mission of the organization, and “walks the walk” of equity, diversity, and inclusion for people of all backgrounds, in both an internal and external facing capacity.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
The Vice President of Business Development should show professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect and non-discrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrate commitment and success promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, including leading and collaborating with diverse teams.
- Social Enterprise Funding Leader: You have deep experience in cultivating and deepening client relationships, and can strategically lead the organization’s sales function through a stage of significant growth. However, you are knowledgeable of diverse sources of social enterprise funding and can seamlessly integrate philanthropy, social impact investing, venture funding, and other mission-based revenue sources to sustain our financial viability without compromising our commitment to advancing equity for women in technology.
- Consummate Manager: You have mastered motivating, organizing, and managing people to maximize their work outcomes while advancing their dedication to the organization and professional development, expertly preventing and resolving staff relations conflicts with fairness, creating an environment of accountability and mutual respect.
- Professional Character: You hold yourself to the highest degree of professionalism and represent the organization’s dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Team-Oriented: You enjoy engaging with others in the sales function and beyond, involving all relevant stakeholders and promoting a culture of collaboration and unity. You actively listen and communicate. You can easily connect with your team and gain their trust and respect. You are able to balance strategic work with execution.
- Connected: You have existing relationships with corporate customers and potential partners that could partner with AnitaB.org in various capacities.
- Gravitas: You are engaged and engaging. You know how to speak the language of our key AnitaB.org Partners and customers, and can effectively influence their thinking.
- Excellent Communicator: You have excellent presentation and contract negotiation skills, and you can easily develop and maintain effective relationships through relevant and timely communications.
AnitaB.org has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position to this link.
Please refrain from contacting AnitaB.org directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at VPBD-AnitaB@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.