AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues. Our social enterprise supports women in technical fields, as well as the organizations that employ them and the academic institutions training the next generation. A full roster of programs help women grow, learn, and develop their highest potential. Our programs and awards, including Grace Hopper Celebration, highlight the accomplishments of women technologists, while our events and communities enable women to establish peer networks.
In 1987, computer scientist Anita Borg founded a digital community for women in computing. Today, AnitaB.org works with technologists in more than 80 countries, and partners with academic institutions and Fortune 500 companies worldwide. The AnitaB.org community extends around the world, driven by the belief that we can accomplish more together than any of us can alone. AnitaB.org is a leader in the tech equity movement, working diligently towards the goal of achieving hiring, pay, retention, and venture funding parity between men and women in the field by 2025.
We invite you to learn more about AnitaB.org by visiting https://anitab.org.
Reporting to the President & CEO, this role develops and executes our institution-wide communications and marketing. This position will create a multi-year plan that promotes AnitaB.org programs, events, and services, enhances the organization’s visibility and brand reputation, and reaches a wide variety of important audiences.
Serving as a critical member of the AnitaB.org executive team, the Vice President of Marketing and Communications is responsible for creating a broad range of communications, public relations, and marketing initiatives that support the strategic direction and positioning of the organization and its leadership. This individual serves as an ambassador for the organization, developing relationships with the media, key partners, and stakeholders. Within the organization, the Vice President ensures the quality of varied and integrated marketing and communications activities for AnitaB.org, including: brand building, movement building, digital media (website, online communications, and social media), media relations, and public relations. This role also supervises a team of marketing and communications professionals.
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications will have a passionate commitment and enthusiasm for leadership and success in creating and managing marketing and communications. They will possess a broad vision of the future of communications and marketing, with strong understanding of the latest trends and technology. Most importantly, they will combine their knowledge of the technology sector with a passion for the mission of AnitaB.org.
Strategy, Vision, and Leadership
- Playing a catalytic role in setting the vision for the AnitaB.org brand; enhancing the visibility of AnitaB.org to all audiences; working collaboratively with all stakeholders to ensure marketing and communications are on-brand, aligned, deliver measurable outcomes, and are in the best interests of AnitaB.org.
- Creating and effectively deploying a best-in-class marketing/public relations strategy that will allow AnitaB.org to cultivate and enhance meaningful relationships with targeted stakeholders and audiences.
- Serving as the internal thought leader and expert on communications practices at AnitaB.org by promoting a culture of high standards and continuous improvement that emphasizes learning, collegiality, and collaboration as well as values diversity, inclusion, respect, and transparency.
- Overseeing the development and execution of our vision, identity, and messaging; broadening awareness of the organization’s programs, events, services, and priorities across key stakeholder audiences.
- Defining marketing and communications objectives that are aligned and in support of our mission and objectives; analyzing and interpreting information, conditions, stakeholder positions, and other variables to develop a framework for communications and marketing.
- Promoting an integrated movement building strategies across marketing/communications disciplines (i.e. media relations, digital media, employee communications, branding and identity, marketing communications, and Community relations).
- Developing a comprehensive long-term strategic communications and marketing plan; operationalizing this into annual departmental plans to encompass the entire spectrum of departmental activity and all target audiences.
- Developing strategies, plans, and tactics to reach new audiences, as well as actionable social media strategies and associated metrics in support of our strategic focus and direction.
- Collaborating closely with senior leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external marketing opportunities and solutions, and to define and execute appropriate strategies to support them.
- Providing strategic counsel to AnitaB.org leadership; advising on media perceptions, public relations issues, marketing strategies, and effective messaging to advance the reputation of the organization.
- Ensuring AnitaB.org is increasingly relevant and uniquely positioned with its core audiences, based on number of consumers engaged and increasing engagement.
- Overseeing the organizational branding as well as the sub brands for AnitaB.org communities, conferences, and products.
- Developing and implementing systems, and utilizing data to measure the effectiveness of all strategic communications and marketing activities.
- Providing strategy, oversight, and accountability for departmental budgets.
- Recruiting and managing departmental team and partners to develop and execute the strategy in a fast-paced and complex environment.
- Promoting a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentoring and developing staff using a supportive and collaborative approach.
- Monitoring staff performance and development goals, assigning accountabilities, setting objectives, establishing priorities, and conducting annual performance appraisals.
- Manage the marketing and communications budget and aligning spending to organizational goals and ROI.
- Serving as a spokesperson and lead point person on media interactions, conferences, and panels.
- Ensuring the CEO’s “voice” in the media is both resonating and provocative.
- Ensuring that our organizations’ media presence is increasing measurable both domestically and internationally.
- Actively monitoring and capitalizing on emerging trends in media and public relations, including digital media and other developments.
Authentic Commitment to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Demonstrating a dedication to significantly advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at a global level, supporting women and companies to improve performance meaningfully, and for the long term.
- Representing an authentic commitment to social justice, accountability, and loyalty to the mission of the organization, and “walking the walk” of equity, diversity, and inclusion for people of all backgrounds, in both an internal and external facing capacity.
Essential Qualifications, Experience, and Attributes
The Vice President of Marketing and Communications is expected to demonstrate professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect, and non-discrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace. Other qualities include:
- A demonstrated commitment and success promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion, including leading and collaborating with diverse teams.
More specifically, AnitaB.org seeks a seasoned professional who has:
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, or related field; advanced degree is preferred.
- A minimum 10 years of experience, with three (3) years in a senior management role.
- Experience in a nonprofit or mission-based organization preferred, with international experience desirable.
- Excellent written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills, and the ability to effectively partner with senior management, board and staff.
- A track record for innovatively translating strategic thinking into action plans and output, with a reputation for inspiring creative thinking and fostering problem solving.
- Demonstrated leadership in creating, implementing, and evaluating a multiyear, best-in-class marketing and communications plan. Experience with a wide range of marketing, sales, and project management platforms.
- A collaborative, flexible, and collegial orientation, combined with institutional savvy.
- An entrepreneurial spirit with the ability to quickly adjust to opportunity and overcome challenges.
- Proven ability to motivate staff and business partners; high degree of integrity and honesty.
- Experience in building, mentoring, and coaching a team of marketing and communications specialists.
- Active in women-focused, social services, marketing, and/or other relevant trade associations; active as a mentor.
Professional Character: You hold yourself to the highest degree of professionalism and represent the organization’s dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
Team-Oriented: You enjoy engaging with others in the sales function and beyond, involving all relevant stakeholders and promoting a culture of collaboration and unity. You actively listen and communicate. You can easily connect with your team and gain their trust and respect. You are able to balance strategic work with execution.
Connected: You have existing relationships with corporate customers and potential partners that could partner with AnitaB.org in various capacities.
Gravitas: You are engaged and engaging. You know how to speak the language of AnitaB.org key partners and customers, and can effectively influence their thinking.
Excellent Communicator: You have excellent presentation and contract negotiation skills, and you can easily develop and maintain effective relationships through relevant and timely communications.
Start Timeframe: We seek to have someone in place by late Spring 2019.
Compensation: This position offers a competitive salary and includes a comprehensive benefit package. We actively welcome all candidates from a wide range of backgrounds who have the skills to fulfill this role – regardless of compensation history.
All applications are held in strict confidence. Please submit your credentials and a letter of interest through our private applicant portal to The 360 Group at: https://the360group.us/portal/. Applications should be directed to the attention of Vincent Robinson, Managing Partner. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Earlier applicants may receive priority consideration. To be considered, The 360 Group encourages all interested candidates to submit their applications promptly, via the Confidential applicant portal linked above.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.