AnitaB.org is seeking its first Vice President of People and Culture, responsible for cultivating an exceptional culture at AnitaB.org, rooted in the organization’s principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
This is a new position that engenders a rare opportunity. AnitaB.org is pursuing a historic goal of achieving 50/50 gender equity in the tech sector by 2025. As such, the organization must model the elements of that goal to the greatest degree possible. These elements include equity, professional engagement and growth, and excessive internal innovation. The VP of People and Culture will champion this effort, working swiftly and diligently to build up the foundational elements of healthy culture, while supporting staff through the organization’s evolution into a true movement-building platform. The VP will cultivate a shared vision for employees of the transformation and growth possible for their individual roles as movement-builders, and will set expectations and support employees through the organization’s evolution. Furthermore, the VP of People and Culture may have an opportunity to grow within their own role as well, continually advancing professionally through excellent delivery and strategic contributions.
The ideal candidate for this role will be an expert in both traditional aspects of human resources, along with the human centered aspects of the profession, including organizational development, performance culture, and diversity, equity, and inclusion. Working with both discipline and flexibility in a fluid, startup environment, the VP will prioritize areas of growth for the organization, and work relentlessly across a geographically dispersed team to deliver against these objectives. The VP will develop systems and processes to enable the ambitious growth goals for the AnitaB.org culture.
The VP must be innately dedicated to the mission of enhancing DEI, and have a deep desire to build a culture that results in collaboration and inclusion, strong retention, and a foundation for movement building. In addition to being an exceptional leader, the VP of People and Culture will display innate characteristics of humility, leadership, sound management, integrity, and collaboration, acting as a beacon of the AnitaB.org mission both externally and internally.
Essential job functions include:
Organizational Design and Transformational Culture Change
- Collaborate with leaders as an essential member of the executive team and contribute as a strategic partner on all people related matters to ensure the company has the right talent, infrastructure/systems/processes, and policies necessary to deliver against our ambitious strategic objectives.
- Act as a natural coach and mentor to leaders, building trust, listening, and relating to employees at all layers of an organization.
- Understand and navigate a start-up culture/environment with a complex international and national staff of 70 full time employees responsible for creating impact at a global scale.
- Act as a steward of the AnitaB.org culture, mission, and strategic vision, enhancing allegiance to the organization by building an internal, cohesive community with a culture of accountability.
Human Resources and Performance Culture
- Working closely with the HR department and consultants, prioritize areas for growth and development, such as a standardized pay scale, an employee handbook, an approach to onboarding new employees, and organization-wide policies and procedures.
- Deepen and standardize approach to performance culture, and build out corresponding assessment methodologies and mechanisms for monitoring and recognizing performance.
- Develop and build out relevant systems and technology solutions to support HR and performance culture goals.
Professional Development, Leadership, Engagement, and Retention
- Understand priorities related to culture, quality of life, performance, and retention across the organization, and develop foundational goals for investing in talent.
- Identify opportunities to introduce programs and initiatives related to DEI across the organization, and to continue acting as a beacon of excellent performance for clients, partners, and other external audiences.
- Establish scalable solutions to empower staff to be better leaders and develop professional development approaches that engage employees at all levels.
- Instill discipline and streamline approaches across the organization for managing and engaging teams, empowering function leaders to contribute to professional development of their unit.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
We expect professionalism in team and external stakeholder interactions and communications, including honesty, integrity, respect, and nondiscrimination in keeping with an organization with a mission to promote women’s diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
- Demonstrated experience with developing and cultivating strong partnerships with wide range of disciplines: business strategy, insights, sales, supply chain, along with interfacing with customers, solution partners, and industry subject matter experts.
Minimum Qualifications, Education, and Experience
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Subject Matter Expert: You have experience building and deploying comprehensive Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) and other professional development related trainings, internally. You are an exemplary thought leader in the DEI space, and are keenly aware of how your work in this space aligns with the overall strategic plan of the organization.
- Demonstrate a dedication to significantly advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion at a global level, supporting women and companies to improve performance meaningfully, and for the long term.
- Represent an authentic commitment to social justice, accountability and loyalty to the mission of the organization, and “walk the talk” of equity, diversity, and inclusion for people of all backgrounds, in both an internal and external facing capacity.
- Seasoned HR Professional: You have 10-12 years of progressive management experience (including three to five years of senior level experience reporting to the CEO or COO) building out HR policies and best practices within a growing, fast paced organization. You have developed employee engagement programs focused on recruitment, retention, and participation in order to increase performance across an organization.
- Transformational Leader and Mentor: You are a seasoned mentor with the ability to build trust and cultivate strong relationships at all layers of an organization. You have the ability to mesh seamlessly with senior leadership and act as a strategic advisor, moving the culture of an organization to align more deeply with its mission.
- Professional Character: You hold yourself to the highest degree of professionalism and represent the organization’s dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion in society and the workplace.
AnitaB.org has retained Schaffer&Combs, a certified B Corporation, to support this high-priority search. In order to apply, please submit an updated resume and thoughtful cover letter that outlines how your skills and experiences meet the qualifications of the position.
Please refrain from contacting AnitaB.org directly; all inquiries should be directed to Schaffer&Combs at
VPPC-AnitaB@schaffercombs.com. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.
AnitaB.org envisions a future where the people who imagine and build technology mirror the people and societies that use it. To achieve that vision, we connect, inspire, and guide women in computing and organizations that view technology innovation as a strategic imperative. As a mission-driven nonprofit, we seek to expand communications about the underrepresentation of women in technical roles, the importance of increasing diversity in tech, and promoting solutions to these issues.
AnitaB.org is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion (including religious dress and grooming standards), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, or related medical conditions), gender (including a person’s gender identity, gender expression, and gender-related appearance and behavior), age, national origin, sexual orientation, medical condition, marital status (including domestic partnership status), physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, protected medical and family care leave, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. We also prohibit harassment of any individual on any of the characteristics listed above. Our non-discrimination policy applies to all aspects of employment.