Social Impact Abie Award
Nominations for 2021 are Now Open.
*This award is open to women whose work is making a positive impact on society as a whole, especially in underserved communities and developing nations.*
The Social Impact Abie Award recognizes those making a positive impact on society as a whole via technology. Nominees may have developed technology that caused social change or empowered underrepresented peoples.
This award will be presented at GHC 19. The next nomination window will open in Summer 2020.
- Recipients are honored by the technical women’s community at Grace Hopper Celebration and invited to give a presentation on the main stage at GHC.
- The award winner will also have multiple speaking opportunities throughout GHC on their work and accomplishments.
- All-expense paid trip to GHC.
- Cash prize.
The award winner has helped create or implement a disruptive technology that expands opportunities for women and improves the quality of life within society. Nominees are evaluated based on the following:
- Impact on women: How has women’s empowerment increased through the technology, or how has women’s influence over technology increased?
- Impact on society: What is the degree and type of social change? Consider the scope of the impact, the level of innovation, and visibility of social change.
- Sustainability and scalability of the efforts
You will need to submit:
- Two letters of reference from professional contacts of the nominee
- Endorsers should be chosen to represent a range of perspectives and institutions and provide additional insights or evidence of the candidate’s impact. Each letter should focus on the accomplishments which that endorser can attest to and place in context.
- The nominee’s biography (maximum of 500 words)
- The nominee’s CV or resume
- Landscape orientation high resolution photograph of the nominee (minimum of 5MB JPG)