Last Updated: April 5, 2023
Scope of Policy
AnitaB.org is committed to honoring your privacy rights. Depending on the applicable law, you may have the following privacy rights:
- Right of access to your Personal Information.
- Right to rectification of Personal Information help where it is incorrect or incomplete.
- Right of erasure of Personal Information (the “right to be forgotten”) if certain grounds are met.
- Right to restrict or suspend the processing of Personal Information.
- Right to complain to a supervisory authority.
- Right of data portability (if processing is based on consent or on a contract and carried out by automated means).
- Right to withdraw consent at any time and free of charge (if processing is based on consent). We will apply your preferences going forward and this will not affect the lawfulness of the processing before you withdrew your consent.
- Right to object to processing (if processing is based on legitimate interests).
- Right to object to processing of Personal Information for direct marketing purposes.
You may submit a request to exercise any of these rights by contacting us as set out below. Before meeting your request, we may ask you to provide reasonable information to verify your identity. Please note that there may be exceptions and limitations to each of these rights under local laws.
What Information Is Collected?
We may collect Personal Information about you directly from you and from third parties, as well as automatically through your use of our Site(s), and when you participate in our events.
Information We Collect Directly From You
- Email address
- Country of residence
- Date of birth
- Company affiliation
- Career level
- Information typically included on a resume
- Payment processing information such as credit card number, postal code, and bank account information
- Mailing address
- Phone number
- Professional Title
- Professional Affiliations
- Special Accommodations
You may also provide us with your racial identity and food allergens. Where required by applicable law, we will request your consent to process such information.
- Systers Site. AnitaB.org collects the following personal information from you when you register to use the Systers List: e-mail address, full name, gender, and a short essay discussing involvement in technical computing. We also collect and archive submissions to the Systers List and thus we retain any personal information you choose to include in those submissions.
- Communications. If you contact us directly (e.g., via email, phone, etc.), we will collect your name, contact details, the content, date and time of your message and any attachments thereto, and other information you may directly provide to us.Generally, the information you provide when interacting with AnitaB.org is optional, but some Personal Information may be required in order for a particular process, transaction, or other interaction to properly execute. Where applicable, we indicate whether and why you must provide us with your Personal Infromation, as well as the consequences of failing to do so. AnitaB.org may be unable to provide you with certain products or services should you elect not to share information that we require to be collected for a particular purpose. If you have questions about what information we will require to be collected for a particular purpose, please contact us at Privacy@AnitaB.org.
The accuracy of information provided by you is your responsibility. You agree you will not knowingly provide us inaccurate information. If someone has spoofed your e-mail address or you have another reason you would like to have such information edited or removed, please send an email to Privacy@AnitaB.org with your request.
Information We Collect Automatically
We may also automatically collect the page you request through a metrics platform such as Google Analytics. This information is automatically logged through these services and will not be connected to your other Personal Information by AnitaB.org for any reason.
Information We Collect About You at Our Events
If you are a speaker at an AnitaB.org event, we may record your presentation in audio and/or video format and display it on our Site(s), membership services, online video streaming, and social media sites (including YouTube.com) and use it for related advertising. Where required by applicable law, we will request your consent to use your image in this manner.
Information We Collect From Third Parties
How Is Such Information Used?
We use your Personal Information for the following purposes:
- To operate, provide, maintain, and enhance our Site(s) and services, including our events. This includes understanding and analyzing the usage, trends, and preferences of our users, viewing, and demographic patters for certain programs, content, services, and advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Site(s) to improve the way the Site(s) work and look, and to create new features and functionality.
- To contact you about your membership, provide local networking and educational opportunities, and share with you information that we feel may be of interest to you, such as invitations to attend AnitaB.org events or the events of other carefully chosen organizations. Where required under applicable law, we will only send you marketing communications with your consent. You may opt-out of such communications by following the opt-out instructions contained in the e-mail.
- To personalize your experience on our Site(s) and services such as presenting tailored content.
- To process your job application.
- To conduct research on our customer demographics, internet usage, and interests and behavior, including on the basis of de-identified information.
- To process your donation.
- To enable registration, maintenance, support, and participation in the Systers List. This includes for the purpose of maintaining the integrity of site access. No marketing is associated with the Sisters List, only notifications regarding updates, policy changes, and required communications.
- To review and enhance our products and service offerings.
- For advertising and promotional purposes.
- To anonymize Personal Information.
- To otherwise further our charitable purpose.
- To comply with applicable law.
If you make charitable donations to AnitaB.org or otherwise engage in off-line activities with AnitaB.org, your information may be merged in our database with your online Personal Information.
If the processing of your Personal Information is subject to data protection laws in the European Economic Area or the United Kingdom (together “Europe”), we only process your Personal Information based on a valid legal group, including when:
- Consent. We may use your Personal Information when you have given your consent to do so. For example, to send you marketing communications.
- Contractual Necessity.We may use your Personal Information to perform our end of our contracts with you. For example, to provide you with entrance to an event for which you have registered.
- Legal Obligations.We may use your Personal Information when we are legally required to. For example, to comply with tax and accounting obligations, or to comply with a court order.
- Legitimate Interest.We may use your Personal Information when we, or a third party, have a legitimate interest in doing so. For example, we have a legitimate interest in responding to your questions regarding an event for which you have registered. We only rely on our or a third party’s legitimate interests to process Personal Information when these interests are not overridden by your rights and interests.
Any time you voluntarily submit information, you are providing the information on a voluntary basis whereby you accept our use of the information as described at the time requested. You can contact us at any time to adjust your privacy preferences or ask questions about how the information might be used.
Your personal information is only retained by AnitaB.org for as long as needed to facilitate the product or service, facilitate communication, or otherwise execute the purpose for which the information was obtained in the first place. This means that although much of the information can be deleted automatically (e.g. when you elect to unsubscribe from a newsletter), some will require manual review before doing so (e.g. you have purchased a ticket for an event and we need some way to verify who you are in order to be admitted to the event). When determining the retention period for Personal Information, we take into account various criteria, such as the type of services requested by or provided to you, the nature and length of our relationship with you, possible re-enrollment with our services, the impact on the services we provide to you if we delete some information from or about you, mandatory retention periods provided by law and the statute of limitations.
When AnitaB.org Discloses Information
We disclose your Personal Information to the following recipients:
- Personnel and Volunteers. Tasks related to event organization and other functions of AnitaB.org are performed both by employees, agents, and contractors of AnitaB.org and by volunteers (“AnitaB.org Volunteers”) who are not employees. AnitaB.org employees, agents, contractors, and AnitaB.org Volunteers will only process your Personal Information as necessary perform the relevant task.
- Vendors and Service Providers. AnitaB.org discloses Personal Information to agents, subcontractors, and other third parties, who are engaged by AnitaB.org in making the AnitaB.org products and services available and otherwise assisting AnitaB.org in its charitable purpose, including fundraising.
- Partners. AnitaB.org discloses Personal Information to selected affiliates, business partners, advertisers, marketing partners, and other organizations that AnitaB.org may affiliate with in furtherance of its charitable purpose. We may enter into agreements with outside companies that possess technology that allows us to customize our advertising and marketing messages. Information about your activities may be shared with these companies so this customization can be accomplished. Our agreement with these companies prohibits them from sharing your information with any third party or using it for any other purpose.
- Attendees. If you register to attend an event or conference hosted by AnitaB.org, AnitaB.org may disclose attendee contact information to other attendees, vendors, contractors, or sponsors at such conference or event; provided, that AnitaB.org will provide attendees with the opportunity to opt-in or opt-out of such disclosure, depending on the requirements under applicable law.
- On the Site(s). Under certain circumstances (for example if you win a contest), we may post your Personal Information on the Site(s). However, we will notify you of this possibility when collecting Personal Information or we will obtain your consent to post this information. We may share your Personal Information with certain other websites that we link to (and that you click upon) in order to achieve the purpose of the connection with the Site(s).
- Systers List Members. Archives of emails sent to the Systers List are maintained on the Systers Site and are accessible to list members. When they register to participate, Systers List members agree to be bound by the Systers List FAQs, which requires that information posted to the Systers List not be shared with non-members unless the explicit permission of the poster is sought and received, but AnitaB.org is not responsible for any undesired dissemination of information by members of the Systers List. You can unsubscribe from the Systers List at any time by entering your email address at the bottom of the Systers.org site and clicking “Unsubscribe or edit options.”
- As Required by Law and Similar Disclosures. AnitaB.org may disclose information if required to do so by law or in the good faith belief that such action is necessary to: (1) comply with state or federal laws (such as U.S. Copyright law), or respond to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant, or otherwise comply with legal process served on AnitaB.org or the Site(s); (2) protect and defend the rights or property of AnitaB.org or otherwise take precautions against liability; or (3) act in urgent circumstances to protect the rights, property, or personal safety of AnitaB.org and users of AnitaB.org, its websites or the public; (4) protect AnitaB.org from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses;(5) investigate and defend ourselves against third party claims or allegations; (6) assist government enforcement agencies; or (7) protect the security or integrity of the Site(s). If your Personal Information is subject to European data protection laws, the above paragraph applies to the extent permitted under those laws.
- Merger or Sale. In the event that AnitaB.org is acquired by or merged with a third-party entity, we reserve the right, in any of these circumstances, to transfer or assign the information that we have collected from users as part of such merger, acquisition, sale, or other change of control. In these circumstances, we may disclose and transfer your Personal Information to advisors, potential transaction partners, or other third parties in connection with the change of control.
Except with your explicit permission, we will not sell, share, or trade Donor Information with any third party, nor send mailings using Donor Information on behalf of other organizations. To the extent any Donor Information is processed through a third party service provider, Donor Information will only be used for purposes necessary to process that activity.
While AnitaB.org uses appropriate measures intended to ensure the security of Personal Infromation, it is possible that information, including Personal Information, you provide us could be intercepted or otherwise accessed by unauthorized parties. In addition, any information sent to us by email may not be secure during transit, due to the nature of email. To the extent permitted by applicable law, AnitaB.org does not provide any guarantees that information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards. If AnitaB.org learns of a security breach we will notify you electronically insofar required by applicable law so that you can take appropriate protective steps and inform you of what we are doing to help remedy the situation.
Non-identifiable Aggregated Data
Non-identifiable data is information that subsequently is used in aggregate form or in a manner that does not readily identify an individual. We may collect non-identifiable data whether or not you are a registered member of AnitaB.org. We may use non-identifiable data for purposes of research or analysis. We may conduct research on our customer demographics, internet usage, and interests and behavior based on personal data we gather. Although non-identifiable data may be based in part on personal information, it does not identify you personally.
AnitaB.org may share this type of non-identifiable data with a variety of third parties, including its affiliates, advertisers and other current and prospective business partners. AnitaB.org may use non-identifiable data collected for website administration, advertising and promotional purposes, for understanding the usage, viewing, and demographic patterns for certain programs, content, services, advertisements, promotions, and/or functionality on the Site(s), and we may share such information with various affiliated and unaffiliated entities for such purposes. We may also enter into agreements with outside companies that possess technology that allows us to customize our advertising and marketing messages. Your non-personally identifiable information and click stream data about your activities may be shared with these companies so this customization can be accomplished. Our agreement with these companies prohibits them from sharing your information with any third-party or using it for any other purpose. Non-identifiable click stream and demographic information may also be shared with our advertisers and business partners.
You may, of course, decline to share your personal information with AnitaB.org, in which case AnitaB.org will not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality found on the Site(s). If you would like us to limit communications to you or use or disclosure of your personal information, please make your request by email to Privacy@AnitaB.org. We will respond within a reasonable period to notify you either that we will use reasonable efforts to accommodate your request or alternatively, that we are unable to do so and will delete your personal information from our databases. You may request a copy of any information we have about you, update your information, or request any information about to be deleted from our databases at any time by emailing Privacy@AnitaB.org.
The accuracy of information provided by you is your responsibility. You agree you will not knowingly provide us inaccurate information. If someone has spoofed your e-mail address or you have another reason you would like to have such information edited or removed, please send an email to Privacy@AnitaB.org. with your request. Other personal information may be corrected, amended or deleted by requesting changes by email to Privacy@AnitaB.org.
Links to Other Sites
Protecting the privacy of young children is especially important. For that reason, the Site(s) are not intended for or directed to persons under the age of 16 and AnitaB.org does not knowingly collect or maintain personal information on the Site(s) from persons under 16 years-of-age. Any person who provides their information to AnitaB.org through any part of Site(s) represents to AnitaB.org that they are 16 years of age or older. If AnitaB.org learns that personal information of persons less than 16 years-of-age has been collected on AnitaB.org without verifiable parental consent, then AnitaB.org will take the appropriate steps to delete this information. If you are a parent or guardian and discover that your child under the age of 16 has provided personal information to AnitaB.org, then you may alert AnitaB.org at Privacy@AnitaB.org and request that AnitaB.org delete that child’s personal information from its systems.
Cookies and Similar Technologies
AnitaB.org and third-party partners may use the following Cookies:
- Functional Cookies. Some Cookies are strictly necessary to make our Site(s) available to you. For example, to provide login functionality or to allow you to fill out forms. They may also be used to recognize you when you return to our Site(s). For example, to remember your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit the Site.
- Analytics Cookies. These are used to monitor the effectiveness of third-party marketing campaigns, monitor aggregate site usage metrics such as total number of visitors and pages viewed, and track your entries, submissions, and status in any promotions or other activities. We use Google Analytics to collect and process certain analytics data on our behalf. Google Analytics helps us understand how you engage with our Site(s). You can learn about Google’s practices by going to https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/, and opt out of them by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on, available at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.